What’s this? Have I gone from constantly posting book reviews to constantly posting baking recipes? Who knows but we’re gonna go with it. I’m pretty okayish at baking cupcakes and cakes but bread is something I have never done before so I tried making soda farls the other day and they didn’t suck! Here’s what I did…
(okay so they aren’t the nice wee triangle shape they’re supposed to be but they don’t look ~that~ bad)
- 250g of plain flour
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 250ml of buttermilk
- Pre-heat your griddle on a medium to low heat
- Place flour and salt in a bowl and sift in the baking soda
- Make a wee hole in the centre and then pour in the buttermilk
- Working quickly, mix into a dough with a wooden spoon and then GENTLY (I didn’t do this gently) knead it on a well floured surface
- Flatten it until it’s about 1cm thick and then cook them on the griddle until they’re baked all the way through
*tip: don’t under ANY circumstances squash the soda farls when they’re baking! I did this because I thought it would make them bake faster and my daddy had to scold me for pushing the air out of them*
And that’s that! They don’t look the part, I’ll admit that, but they tasted great toasted with butter and some fresh damson jam!
Are you an experienced bread baker? I’d love to get into it more so any tips are welcome!
Until next time…